Behind The Botched Drone Attack To Kill Al-Zawahiri...
Raptor
2006-01-16 05:38:06 UTC
Behind The Botched Drone Attack To Kill Al-Zawahiri...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/01/15/behind-the-botched-drone-_n_13873.html
"One Pakistani official, speaking anonymously, told The Observer that
hours before the strike some unidentified guests had arrived at one home
and that some bodies had been removed quickly after the attack. This was
denied by villagers."

Despite the obvious typo, this sounds pretty damn important.

What a pain in the ass, to not only have to find the critter, and sneak
a missile in on it's head, but to also have to chase down the remains to
verify the kill.

Conservative dictionary:
Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.
Ian MacLure
2006-01-16 05:48:18 UTC
Behind The Botched Drone Attack To Kill Al-Zawahiri...
Who says it was botched?
We don't have an in with Al-Zs social secretary so we don't get
apprised of last minute changes of plans. Shit happens.
Al Zawahiri dodged the bullet it seems but I'd be really
surprised if no few of the local Jihadi leadership are
now savo(u)ring their raisins.

IBM

i***@gmail.com
2006-01-16 12:43:24 UTC
There is one aspect that no one has mentioned and that is the fact that
the Pakistani government is NOT in control of the tribal areas. Any
talk of "sovereinty" misses this fact. You are not sovereign when you
are not in control.
l***@nospam.net
Nonsense. The area is within the border of Pakistan.
i***@gmail.com
2006-01-16 14:18:57 UTC
But it is STILL not controled.
l***@nospam.net
2006-01-16 15:16:40 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by l***@nospam.net
Nonsense. The area is within the border of Pakistan.
But it is STILL not controled.
That is completely irrelevant. The fact that bush and the neo-cons fucked
up royally again is relevant.
Red Jacket
2006-01-16 18:35:48 UTC
At least he ain't got a stupid ass idiot like you working on NUKES !
Only a JFK was that stupid.

Moron, do you glow in the dark ?
i***@gmail.com
2006-01-16 15:51:39 UTC
Legally it has great significance. It applies in a number of areas. If
a country has no aircraft, and does not control its airspace, it does
not own its airspace. The same thing is true of space and orbital
craft.

If a piece of land is nominally part of Pakistan but in really beloings
to anarchy, it can be arued that it is NOT a part of Pakiustan but part
of the state of anarchy.
unknown
2006-01-16 18:15:38 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Legally it has great significance. It applies in a number of areas. If
a country has no aircraft, and does not control its airspace, it does
not own its airspace. The same thing is true of space and orbital
craft.
If a piece of land is nominally part of Pakistan but in really beloings
to anarchy, it can be arued that it is NOT a part of Pakiustan but part
of the state of anarchy.
See also: US Border along Mexico.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of
the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to
drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have
to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for
lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials
i***@gmail.com
2006-01-16 22:00:16 UTC
I realize that the war on terrorism is difficult and for that reason
the US should be given the benefit of the doubt. NOT on their policy
towards Mexico.

I am a European and the EU is based on THE FREE MOBIL:ITY OF LABOR.
This is one of the cornerstones of the treaty of Rome.

NAFTA should be rechristened NAFF TA. It cannot rival the EU for that
reason. My friend, the way to solve the problem is to provide economic
prosperity in Mexico. Broadly speking mass migration ceases when the
respective per capita incomes come within 50% of each other.

The situation is by no means parallel with that in Pakistan, it is much
more parallel with Eastern Europe. Britain has resisted the imposition
of restrictions and chamioned the enlargement of the EU.

This last contribution tells me that the EU is working far better than
NAFF TA, something with which Britain should NEVER associate itself.
Brian Sharrock
2006-01-17 12:30:53 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
I realize that the war on terrorism is difficult and for that reason
the US should be given the benefit of the doubt. NOT on their policy
towards Mexico.
I am a European and the EU is based on THE FREE MOBIL:ITY OF LABOR.
This is one of the cornerstones of the treaty of Rome.
Suprisingly, the Treaty of Rome didn't have this cornerstone - the
free
mobility of Labo(u)r had to await the Treaty of Maastricht which
erected the EU from its constituent EC members, and made 'citizens'
of the EC nations citizens of the EU.

Oh, this is USENET ... ? Why let a quibble spoil a rant?
Brian
i***@gmail.com
2006-01-17 14:20:50 UTC
It cerainly was a cornerstone of Rome.Maastricht efectively established
the Euro, something of which Britain is not (yet) a part.

The question of how much mobility occurs in practice is an important
one. I lived in Germany for 2 years at Darmstadt and the open border
policy really does work. You can live in Germany and work in France and
vice versa.

As I have already stated movement is in practice rather limited, people
don't move unless there is a real disparity in salary. I am personally
rather disappointed that no European consciousness has emerged. However
it is important that a company should be able to move senior people
without spending a lot of time in burocratic hoops. I feel it is
important that young people should be able to work and study abroad-
again without hoops.
M. J. Powell
2006-01-17 16:47:43 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
It cerainly was a cornerstone of Rome.Maastricht efectively established
the Euro, something of which Britain is not (yet) a part.
Thank God.
Post by i***@gmail.com
The question of how much mobility occurs in practice is an important
one. I lived in Germany for 2 years at Darmstadt and the open border
policy really does work. You can live in Germany and work in France and
vice versa.
You could do that before.
Post by i***@gmail.com
As I have already stated movement is in practice rather limited, people
don't move unless there is a real disparity in salary. I am personally
rather disappointed that no European consciousness has emerged.
I don't feel European at all. I am British and so are my neighbours.
Post by i***@gmail.com
However
it is important that a company should be able to move senior people
without spending a lot of time in burocratic hoops. I feel it is
important that young people should be able to work and study abroad-
again without hoops.
And why not?

But the sooner we get out of the European Union the better, it is the
most corrupt organisation ever, even more corrupt than the UN.

The auditors have refused to sign off the accounts for about 9 years
running. Why should we taxpayers continue to pay into this regime?

Mike
M.J.Powell
i***@gmail.com
2006-01-17 17:21:30 UTC
Post by M. J. Powell
But the sooner we get out of the European Union the better, it is the
most corrupt organisation ever, even more corrupt than the UN.
I hope the EU does not unravel. I don't think there will be a war, at
least not immediately. However Schumann and Adenour got together after
WW2 in the feeling of "this must never happen again".

I will accept that agricultural subsidies are wasteful. However the US
has these subsidies too. If we, and by "we" I mean all European
countries had a European identity I don't think you would be talking
like this. I feel too that prosperity in Eastern Europe is vital for
British national security and is very much in our interests.

A collapsed EU would deny Europe a voice in world affairs. Britain,
France and Germany are too smasll to be great powers in their own
right. By "great powers" I do not just mean the military dimension, I
mean the ability to set standards for commercial life.

If B left the EU, do not suppose for one moment that the regulations
and red tape would cease. In fact you would have a different set of red
tape for each country. A truly terrifing prospect. People do not seem
to realize that the EU as well as being bureaucratic has in fact masde
a bonfire of national regulations.

No let us feel more European and try to convince other people to feel
likewise.

Freedom of movement for people is of course part of the bonfire. I
would suggest a similar bonfire in the US, Mexico and Canada. A bonfire
is needed <160km from the Mexican border, not a missile srike.
M. J. Powell
2006-01-17 19:39:47 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by M. J. Powell
But the sooner we get out of the European Union the better, it is the
most corrupt organisation ever, even more corrupt than the UN.
I hope the EU does not unravel. I don't think there will be a war, at
least not immediately. However Schumann and Adenour got together after
WW2 in the feeling of "this must never happen again".
Have we wasted all those billions of pounds over years just because we
can't trust the Germans with firearms?
Post by i***@gmail.com
I will accept that agricultural subsidies are wasteful. However the US
has these subsidies too. If we, and by "we" I mean all European
countries had a European identity I don't think you would be talking
like this.
I am NOT European by feeling or anything else, except as a geographical
accident.
Post by i***@gmail.com
I feel too that prosperity in Eastern Europe is vital for
British national security and is very much in our interests.
Do expect us to be attacked by crazed Belorussians or maddened
Ukrainians?

Or would Denmark attack Luxembourg over some trivial dispute?
Post by i***@gmail.com
A collapsed EU would deny Europe a voice in world affairs. Britain,
France and Germany are too smasll to be great powers in their own
right. By "great powers" I do not just mean the military dimension, I
mean the ability to set standards for commercial life.
We are co-operating for the Eurofighter and for the Airbus as individual
countries under contract. We could have done it without the EU.
Post by i***@gmail.com
If B left the EU, do not suppose for one moment that the regulations
and red tape would cease. In fact you would have a different set of red
tape for each country. A truly terrifing prospect.
We had that before and got on well with our own laws.
Post by i***@gmail.com
People do not seem
to realize that the EU as well as being bureaucratic
You can say that again.
Post by i***@gmail.com
has in fact masde
a bonfire of national regulations.
Name three.
Post by i***@gmail.com
No let us feel more European and try to convince other people to feel
likewise.
You really have swallowed all the rubbish, haven't you. Are you an MEP
by any chance?
Post by i***@gmail.com
Freedom of movement for people is of course part of the bonfire.
I don't think you meant what you wrote.

I had a passport which let me move all round Europe before. A British
Passport.

Mike
M.J.Powell
William Black
2006-01-17 20:56:51 UTC
Post by M. J. Powell
Have we wasted all those billions of pounds over years just because we
can't trust the Germans with firearms?
It's a better reason than most, and probably cheaper in the long run...
--
William Black

Time for tea.
M. J. Powell
2006-01-17 22:14:34 UTC
Post by William Black
Post by M. J. Powell
Have we wasted all those billions of pounds over years just because we
can't trust the Germans with firearms?
It's a better reason than most, and probably cheaper in the long run...
It would have been cheaper to have had an army of occupation, shared
with other allies.

Mike.
M.J.Powell
i***@gmail.com
2006-01-18 11:27:05 UTC
Post by M. J. Powell
It would have been cheaper to have had an army of occupation, shared
with other allies.
Good lord! The cost of Iraq alone dwarfs completely any agriculural
subsidy or inefficiency in the EU. I'm glad you are not in charge.
M. J. Powell
2006-01-20 19:57:39 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by M. J. Powell
It would have been cheaper to have had an army of occupation, shared
with other allies.
Good lord! The cost of Iraq alone dwarfs completely any agriculural
subsidy or inefficiency in the EU. I'm glad you are not in charge.
Germany wasn't as Iraq is.

Mike

The was a Peace of Somewhere that divided Germany into about 600
separate states. That would have been useful.
-
M.J.Powell
i***@gmail.com
2006-01-18 11:24:42 UTC
Post by M. J. Powell
Do expect us to be attacked by crazed Belorussians or maddened
Ukrainians?
No attacked in conventional military sense. However history, and AQ in
particular should teach us that when you have an area of prosperity
surrounded by an area of poverty you get problems. You get gangs,
sometimes ordinary crime (which in fact kills far more people than
terrorism) involved in people trafficing. It is the presence of gangs
that is in fact far more worrying than the people coming in themelves.
AQ tends to be better received in an environment of poverty.

I regard your remarks as extremely selfish. If we think like this there
will be war.
Post by M. J. Powell
Name three.
Yellow headlamps in France. They never did reduce dazzle.

The German Rheinheitsgebot on beer.

As mentioned an abslute right to freedom of movemernt.
Post by M. J. Powell
I had a passport which let me move all round Europe before. A British Passport.
That was only ever true if all you wanted to do was go on holiday.
No i'm not.
Jack
2006-01-18 20:30:29 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
NAFTA should be rechristened NAFF TA. It cannot rival the EU for that
reason. My friend, the way to solve the problem is to provide economic
prosperity in Mexico. Broadly speking mass migration ceases when the
respective per capita incomes come within 50% of each other.
Unfortunately for your theory, it is imperative that Mexico make and/or
allow investment proportional to that being made in China, and that
Mexicans be willing to work for the wage standard established by the
major player -- again, China. That is not happening and probably never
will happen.

Jack
"H.M.F.I.C.<<*>1369" >
2006-01-17 07:13:14 UTC
When were you there? Since you seem to know so much!
unknown
2006-01-17 12:24:08 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by l***@nospam.net
Nonsense. The area is within the border of Pakistan.
But it is STILL not controled.
He was there just last week!

(When Neocons need a fact, they just make it up. See also: WMD)

Ian MacLure
2006-01-18 04:54:14 UTC
Post by "H.M.F.I.C.<<*>1369" >
When were you there? Since you seem to know so much!
Doesn't require physical presence to be aware of the
politics going on in an area. Pakistan's tribal areas
have been their Wild West since Mohammed was molesting
moppets and before.
Not much has changed in that respect.

IBM

unknown
2006-01-16 14:28:41 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
There is one aspect that no one has mentioned and that is the fact that
the Pakistani government is NOT in control of the tribal areas. Any talk
of "sovereinty" misses this fact. You are not sovereign when you are not
in control.
If that were the case, Mexico would have the right to launch missiles 100 miles
into the US along the border.

Buck

Plonk Bot
2006-01-16 18:11:44 UTC
Ha Ha Ha!!!

PLONK!! back at ya, asshole.

Ha!
Post by Buck
Adios, Idiot!
PLONK!!
unknown
2006-01-16 18:16:33 UTC
Post by Buck
Adios, Idiot!
PLONK!!
Post by unknown
Post by i***@gmail.com
There is one aspect that no one has mentioned and that is the fact that
the Pakistani government is NOT in control of the tribal areas. Any talk
of "sovereinty" misses this fact. You are not sovereign when you are not
in control.
If that were the case, Mexico would have the right to launch missiles 100 miles
into the US along the border.
I love the way Neocons sputter when you use their own logic to show the US is
as flawed as other countries.

Ian MacLure
2006-01-17 05:34:44 UTC
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:16:08 GMT, "Buck"
Post by Buck
Adios, Idiot!
PLONK!!
Post by unknown
Post by i***@gmail.com
There is one aspect that no one has mentioned and that is the fact
that the Pakistani government is NOT in control of the tribal
areas. Any talk of "sovereinty" misses this fact. You are not
sovereign when you are not in control.
If that were the case, Mexico would have the right to launch
missiles 100 miles
into the US along the border.
I love the way Neocons sputter when you use their own logic to show
the US is as flawed as other countries.
Who's sputtering.
Some idiot drags up a red herring and there's a chorus of approval
from his idiot peers on the left.
Mexico can do whatever Mexico wants but there would be a price to
be paid for missiling US territory.
Were groups based in the US raiding Mexican territory the comparison
might have a tiny bit of validity but sadly for you the only large
scale intrusions are coming from the Mexican side. Sooner of later
the Dhimmicreeps won't be in a position to enable this sort of thing
anymore and the problem will be fixed even if that requires fortifying
the border.

IBM

"H.M.F.I.C.<<*>1369" >
2006-01-16 23:09:19 UTC
Control has nothing to do with sovereinty................ There are many
places here in America beyond control.....
are not in control.
Ian MacLure
2006-01-17 05:11:04 UTC
Post by "H.M.F.I.C.<<*>1369" >
Control has nothing to do with sovereinty................ There are many
places here in America beyond control.....
Only in your dreams.
There is no place in the territory of the US where the
military could not walk in, lay down the law and make it
stick should it be necessary.
This is not however the case in the tribal areas of
Pakistan where the military has neither the will nor
ability to enforce their national law.

IBM

Lang Bang
2006-01-16 13:38:48 UTC
The U.S. is so desparate that it would break international laws to
launch an attack on a civilian target in Pakistan. Similar to the
terrorist attacks on Sept 11, 2001, all attacks on a civilian targets
should be banned by international laws.
For every Islam that the bomb killed last week, hundred more will join
insurgents.
Similar phenomenon happenned during the Vietnam war. For every VC that
U.S. soldier killed in Vietnam, 5 or 10 more Vietmamese joined VCs.
From 10,000 in 1965, the number of VCs increased to over 100,000 in
1968.
Careless U.S. military actions indeed made the enemy stronger by
increasing the number of people who later joined the ennemy. The people
who joined to help VC were not only Vietnamese but also U.S. citizens.
http://nomorewarforisrael.blogspot.com
Jack
2006-01-18 20:22:58 UTC
From 10,000 in 1965, the number of VCs increased to over 100,000 in
1968.
How many were there in '69?

Think of the answer as a harbinger of things to come for aC.

Jack
Jack Linthicum
2006-01-18 20:32:21 UTC
Post by Jack
From 10,000 in 1965, the number of VCs increased to over 100,000 in
1968.
How many were there in '69?
Think of the answer as a harbinger of things to come for aC.
Jack
Cut the article up to just show numbers

http://www.sfbg.com/39/32/x_oped.html

In January 1966 the official U.S. intelligence estimate of the Vietcong
order of battle was that there were 270,000 Vietcong guerrillas in
South Vietnam. At the same time there had been approximately 50,000 to
150,000 Vietcong deserters, as well as 150,000 casualties each year. If
these figures were correct, there were more deserters and casualties
than the total number of enemy troops. Yet the war continued. Who was
still fighting? Something was wrong.

In the Central Intelligence Agency, a young analyst named Sam Adams was
assigned to study the Vietcong full time. After careful examination of
numerous after-action reports and reports of enemy interrogations,
Adams concluded that there were at least 200,000 more Vietcong fighters
than were acknowledged in the U.S. assumptions. If Adams was right, the
enemy force was at least twice as large as the U.S. assumed.

But Adams was virtually ignored. He continued to study the evidence,
and by December 1966 he had concluded that there were 600,000 enemy
soldiers.

There were conferences at which Adams presented his evidence, and at
least one Pentagon analyst agreed with his conclusions. But the CIA and
the military resisted changing the numbers, and so the official U.S.
intelligence position was that our 350,000 soldiers were fighting only
270,000 Vietcong.

Gen. William Westmoreland was the commander of all U.S. forces in
Vietnam. He returned to Washington in November 1967 and said, "The
enemy is running out of men." Two months later, in January 1968, the
Vietcong launched the Tet offensive with simultaneous attacks on
numerous provincial capitals. U.S. troops repelled the attacks, but
more than 10,000 of them died doing it. It was the greatest
intelligence failure since Pearl Harbor.
Kevin Brooks
2006-01-19 00:14:34 UTC
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack
From 10,000 in 1965, the number of VCs increased to over 100,000 in
[...]
Yet oddly enough, Tet '68 also signalled the end of the VC as a source of
major fighting forces (thereafter the NVA took over the brunt of the battle)
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during that period, but 600K? I
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his estimates, and
that the official military estimates were probably closer to the mark. Your
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of whack--during the
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over 7000 KIA, not
ten thousand.

www.richmond.edu/~ebolt/ history398/US_Casulaties_1968.html

Brooks
Lang Bang
2006-01-19 17:15:49 UTC
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack
From 10,000 in 1965, the number of VCs increased to over 100,000 in
[...]
I agree. After the Tet offensive, VC forces were almost wiped out and
NVA took over all combat duties. If the number of VCs eliminated in
1968 was less than 100,000, the number of VCs in 1968 would be a bit
over 100,000 so the figures of 600,000 in the article is way too
much. The "assault youths" were unarmed labors who worked in the
battle fields to provide logistics. The ratio of assault youths/combat
VCs may be about 1/1. Because their death numbers were counted in VC
KIAs, the body count numbers provided by U.S. troops were high.
Red Jacket
2006-01-20 00:44:11 UTC
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in the barrel and
none of the young had ammo.

What a waste. April 1970
Lang Bang
2006-01-20 01:59:48 UTC
Yes, most "youth assaults" were battlefield forced labors and were nor
armed. Because of their family background VCs did not trust them enough
to let them join the regular army. During the invasion of Cambodia
circa 1977-1978, Communist Vietnam drafted South Vietnamese youths to
the army, except youths of ethnic Chinese and children of ARVN officers
who were forced to join yout assault corps in the battle fields in
Cambodia. The body count reported by U.S. forces in the field during
the war was not inflated. However, half of the bodies were VC youth
assaults. Because many of them were females, some antiwar activists
also mistaken the bodies of dead youth assaults with civilians.
l***@nospam.net
2006-01-20 02:38:54 UTC
Post by Lang Bang
Yes, most "youth assaults" were battlefield forced labors and were nor
armed. Because of their family background VCs did not trust them enough
to let them join the regular army. During the invasion of Cambodia circa
1977-1978, Communist Vietnam drafted South Vietnamese youths to the army,
except youths of ethnic Chinese and children of ARVN officers who were
forced to join yout assault corps in the battle fields in Cambodia. The
body count reported by U.S. forces in the field during the war was not
inflated. However, half of the bodies were VC youth assaults. Because
many of them were females, some antiwar activists also mistaken the
bodies of dead youth assaults with civilians.
The anitwar people were in the field counting bodies?
Red Jacket
2006-01-20 08:34:39 UTC
No. April 1970. NVA young uniformed NVA. Found
with NEW AK's no ammo and grease in the barrel.
Some the rare AK 50's also, I kept one. It was new and
still had factory grease on and in it. In fact I took 3 back
to company and gave two away.

Why ?

Many on a rocky hill froze as Hueys came up on them. They
only looked, no fighting back, no military discipline. They died
like that, holding a new AK that could not fire.

Why ? Were they part of that 305th NVA ?
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
William Black
2006-01-20 09:01:15 UTC
Post by Red Jacket
No. April 1970. NVA young uniformed NVA. Found
with NEW AK's no ammo and grease in the barrel.
Some the rare AK 50's also, I kept one. It was new and
still had factory grease on and in it. In fact I took 3 back
to company and gave two away.
My understanding is that AKs have a chromed barrel bore and so aren't
greased at the factory...
--
William Black

Time for tea.
Red Jacket
Time for tea.
Red Jacket
Time for tea.
Red Jacket
2006-01-20 14:35:22 UTC
Yes, the barrel and bolt are chromed, but that helps resist rust
not stop it.

Thinking about it now, yes they were greased, it was not dirt in the
barrels. I'm sure of that altho they were very filthy with dirt.
I looked at three of them, they are the ones I took.
I only cleaned the one I kept to replace a fixed stock AK.
They came from Dak Seang and near-by LZ Orange.

I preferred it over the M-16. I worked in too much dust and
that 16 would not function. I had no time to clean it after every
LZ. It was not possible and trying to get a 14 back was usless.
I would prefer the M-14 over both of them, this is in my case
only due to the nature of my work as a CE and a minimum
12 hr air flying time a day.
Post by Red Jacket
They were also filthy with dirt.
Post by Red Jacket
These were greased.
Time for tea.
Fred J. McCall
2006-01-20 16:09:45 UTC
"William Black" <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

:
:"Red Jacket" <Red ***@yahoo.com> wrote in message
:news:95Cdne_nh7b56U3eRVn-***@adelphia.com...
:> No. April 1970. NVA young uniformed NVA. Found
:> with NEW AK's no ammo and grease in the barrel.
:> Some the rare AK 50's also, I kept one. It was new and
:> still had factory grease on and in it. In fact I took 3 back
:> to company and gave two away.
:
:My understanding is that AKs have a chromed barrel bore and so aren't
:greased at the factory...

I would have expected that they would still be packed in grease from
the factory to prevent corrosion of everything else.
--
"May God have mercy upon my enemies; they will need it."
-- General George S Patton, Jr.
Jack Linthicum
Could you describe an AK-50?
Kevin Brooks
2006-01-20 15:47:16 UTC
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer to the
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over 7000
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
ten thousand.
www.richmond.edu/~ebolt/ history398/US_Casulaties_1968.html
Brooks
I agree. After the Tet offensive, VC forces were almost wiped out and
NVA took over all combat duties. If the number of VCs eliminated in
1968 was less than 100,000, the number of VCs in 1968 would be a bit
over 100,000 so the figures of 600,000 in the article is way too
much. The "assault youths" were unarmed labors who worked in the
battle fields to provide logistics. The ratio of assault youths/combat
VCs may be about 1/1. Because their death numbers were counted in VC
KIAs, the body count numbers provided by U.S. troops were high.
Could you describe an AK-50?
Some Vietnam-era reports described the folding-stock version of the AK-47 as
the "AK-50"; the term was apparently used in error, but you still see it
bounce around from time to time. Could refer to either the AKS-47 or the
AKMS.

Brooks
Jack Linthicum
2006-01-20 15:51:21 UTC
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer to the
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over 7000
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
[...]
AKS is the AK-47 with a folding stock, AKMS is the AKM with a folding
stock. I suspected as much about the AK-50, thanks, we collected
hundereds of the AKs in the 60s looking for production clues from the
factory markings and serial numbers. I had never seen an AK-50, that
was probably a way of identifying what was captured without going into
the fine details.
Red Jacket
2006-01-20 21:15:00 UTC
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in the
barrel
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during that
period,
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
but
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer to the
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over 7000
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
VC
KIAs, the body count numbers provided by U.S. troops were high.
Could you describe an AK-50?
Some Vietnam-era reports described the folding-stock version of the AK-47 as
the "AK-50"; the term was apparently used in error, but you still see it
bounce around from time to time. Could refer to either the AKS-47 or the
AKMS.
Brooks
AKS is the AK-47 with a folding stock, AKMS is the AKM with a folding
stock. I suspected as much about the AK-50, thanks, we collected
hundereds of the AKs in the 60s looking for production clues from the
factory markings and serial numbers. I had never seen an AK-50, that
was probably a way of identifying what was captured without going into
the fine details.
Too techy for me. We just called the folding stock the 50.
Ok, why is it not a 47 ? I figure they went by year....?
Jack Linthicum
2006-01-20 18:19:01 UTC
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in the
barrel
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during that
period,
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
but
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer to
the
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over
7000
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
the "AK-50"; the term was apparently used in error, but you still see it
bounce around from time to time. Could refer to either the AKS-47 or the
AKMS.
Brooks
AKS is the AK-47 with a folding stock, AKMS is the AKM with a folding
stock. I suspected as much about the AK-50, thanks, we collected
hundereds of the AKs in the 60s looking for production clues from the
factory markings and serial numbers. I had never seen an AK-50, that
was probably a way of identifying what was captured without going into
the fine details.
Too techy for me. We just called the folding stock the 50.
Ok, why is it not a 47 ? I figure they went by year....?
http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/

The Kalashnikov people are at least partially responsible. The
nomenclature AK or AK-47, IIRC, does not appear on the actual weapon.
Instead there are the factory markings, different for each factory,
therefore the name, and a serial number. The Izhevsk plant, for
instance, and from memory, had an arrow inside an oval as their marker.
To hide the year made they usually used a letter of the alphabet to
mean the lot number which could be a year or less. Izhevks turned out
this and other Kalashnikov designs en mass.

The basic Ak-47 was built in that time, mid 60s, by about 20 countries,
each with its own id system. Our job was to figure how many of them
were getting out and what the total would be for any one year. IIRC the
folding stock models were part of the overall run and not numbered
separately, suggesting that the factory saw them as AK-47s but still
used a separate designator for the type of weapon.

The really neat model was a Hungarian job with a front grip and (again)
IIRC the folding stock. Eliot Ness/Machine Gun Kelly 1966 style.

I am sort of proud that our review of three weapons systems and their
future availablity has held up over 30-40 years. We did RPG-7, 122mm
rockets and the AKs.
Red Jacket
2006-01-20 22:11:47 UTC
I too like the grip as you say on the Hungarian.

It leans FOREWORD ! It works.

The USA has them leaning back as if to streamline a grip
it will help ? I see M4's now with a straight down front grip.

Hmmm.....you ever in any books on Intel ?

Thanks for the info. We all ID'ed the folder as a 50.
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in the
barrel
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during that
period,
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
but
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer to
the
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over
7000
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
bit
over 100,000 so the figures of 600,000 in the article is
way
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
too
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
rockets and the AKs.
YAKETYAK
2006-01-20 22:47:43 UTC
This site has the info.. the horses mouth.

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/

from what I remember from seeing the designer/inventor in an interview
they went with chromed bores and bolt because they were intended to be
distributed among those who most likely wouldnt clean them properly.

Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Lang Bang
Yes, most "youth assaults" were battlefield forced labors and
were
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
nor
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
armed. Because of their family background VCs did not trust
them
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
enough
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in the
barrel
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during that
period,
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
but
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in
his
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
the
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit
over
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
7000
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
Brooks
I agree. After the Tet offensive, VC forces were almost
wiped
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
out
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
bit
over 100,000 so the figures of 600,000 in the article is
way
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
too
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
much. The "assault youths" were unarmed labors who worked
in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
the
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
battle fields to provide logistics. The ratio of assault
youths/combat
VCs may be about 1/1. Because their death numbers were
counted
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
[...]
9/11
Never Forget
Jack Linthicum
2006-01-20 23:01:01 UTC
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Lang Bang
Yes, most "youth assaults" were battlefield forced labors and
were
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
nor
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
armed. Because of their family background VCs did not trust
them
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
enough
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in the
barrel
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during that
period,
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
but
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in
his
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
the
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit
over
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
7000
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
Brooks
I agree. After the Tet offensive, VC forces were almost
wiped
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
out
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
bit
over 100,000 so the figures of 600,000 in the article is
way
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
too
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
much. The "assault youths" were unarmed labors who worked
in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
the
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
battle fields to provide logistics. The ratio of assault
youths/combat
VCs may be about 1/1. Because their death numbers were
counted
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
[...]
Not unless the CIA released them. I did them in the 60s. If you want to
see my work I did a thing in the McGraw Hill Encyclopedia of Science
and Technology on Radio Spectrum Allocations. They haven't been able to
find anyone dumb enough to take the small amount of money they offer
since 96 or so. Maybe here I haven,t checked
http://www.mhest.com/download/Volume15.pdf
Red Jacket
2006-01-20 21:18:45 UTC
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer to the
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over 7000
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
much. The "assault youths" were unarmed labors who worked in the
battle fields to provide logistics. The ratio of assault youths/combat
VCs may be about 1/1. Because their death numbers were counted in VC
KIAs, the body count numbers provided by U.S. troops were high.
Could you describe an AK-50?

We looked at this as a folding stock.My guess is the folder came out in 1950
?
Outside that I have no idea.
Can you tell me ? I'd like to know....the flash suppressor was samo.
Kevin Brooks
2006-01-20 18:44:59 UTC
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in the barrel
and
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during that
period,
but
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer to the
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over
7000
Post by Red Jacket
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
KIAs, the body count numbers provided by U.S. troops were high.
Could you describe an AK-50?
We looked at this as a folding stock.My guess is the folder came out in 1950
?
Outside that I have no idea.
Can you tell me ? I'd like to know....the flash suppressor was samo.
Then it was an AKS; the AKMS had a slant-cut flash suppressor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-47

(Hate to use Wiki, but in this case they appear to have it right).

Brooks
Jack Linthicum
2006-01-20 18:51:09 UTC
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in the barrel
and
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during that
period,
but
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer to the
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over
7000
Post by Red Jacket
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
I prefer to go to the source: http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/
Red Jacket
2006-01-20 22:15:25 UTC
I looked and I have another for you.

Why in all hell do the Soviets have RED clips and passed
around BLUE uniforms to clients in later insurgencies ?
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in the barrel
and
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during that
period,
but
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
the
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over
7000
Post by Red Jacket
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
over 100,000 so the figures of 600,000 in the article is
way
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
too
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
KIAs, the body count numbers provided by U.S. troops were high.
Could you describe an AK-50?
We looked at this as a folding stock.My guess is the folder came out
in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
1950
?
Jack Linthicum
2006-01-20 19:14:36 UTC
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in the
barrel
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
and
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during that
period,
but
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
the
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit
over
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
7000
Post by Red Jacket
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
ten thousand.
www.richmond.edu/~ebolt/ history398/US_Casulaties_1968.html
Brooks
I agree. After the Tet offensive, VC forces were almost wiped
out
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
and
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
NVA took over all combat duties. If the number of VCs
eliminated
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
in
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
1968 was less than 100,000, the number of VCs in 1968 would
be a
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
bit
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
over 100,000 so the figures of 600,000 in the article is
way
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
too
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
VCs may be about 1/1. Because their death numbers were
counted in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
VC
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Could you describe an AK-50?
We looked at this as a folding stock.My guess is the folder came out
in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
1950
?
Outside that I have no idea.
Can you tell me ? I'd like to know....the flash suppressor was samo.
Then it was an AKS; the AKMS had a slant-cut flash suppressor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-47
(Hate to use Wiki, but in this case they appear to have it right).
Brooks
I prefer to go to the source: http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/
That one is out of my territory. I can tell you how to distinguish
between one AK and another, country of origin, I might also be able to
give you a date and age but beyond that I am just a researcher. See if
the Kalashnikov site will give you an answer, he was pretty big on
diplomacy. Just remembered the Sovs used blue unis at the Olympics,
maybe some national connection?
Red Jacket
2006-01-20 22:35:44 UTC
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in the
barrel
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
and
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during that
period,
but
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in his
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably closer
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
the
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit
over
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
7000
Post by Red Jacket
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
Brooks
I agree. After the Tet offensive, VC forces were almost wiped
out
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
and
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
NVA took over all combat duties. If the number of VCs
eliminated
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
in
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
1968 was less than 100,000, the number of VCs in 1968 would
be a
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
bit
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
over 100,000 so the figures of 600,000 in the article is
way
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
too
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
VCs may be about 1/1. Because their death numbers were
counted in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
VC
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Could you describe an AK-50?
We looked at this as a folding stock.My guess is the folder came out
in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
1950
?
Outside that I have no idea.
Can you tell me ? I'd like to know....the flash suppressor was samo.
Then it was an AKS; the AKMS had a slant-cut flash suppressor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-47
(Hate to use Wiki, but in this case they appear to have it right).
Brooks
I prefer to go to the source: http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/
That one is out of my territory. I can tell you how to distinguish
between one AK and another, country of origin, I might also be able to
give you a date and age but beyond that I am just a researcher. See if
the Kalashnikov site will give you an answer, he was pretty big on
diplomacy. Just remembered the Sovs used blue unis at the Olympics,
maybe some national connection?
No big deal, the red in a combat arm just puzzels me. Know where to
find a bottle of Kalasnikov vodka ? I tried asking stores and had no luck.
I need a drink with a kick ! I think he has one bottle that is shaped like
the AK too.
I must have one.
Jack Linthicum
2006-01-20 19:39:09 UTC
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
nor
armed. Because of their family background VCs did not trust
them
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
enough
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
the army, except youths of ethnic Chinese and children of
ARVN
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
officers
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
who were forced to join yout assault corps in the battle
fields
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Cambodia. The body count reported by U.S. forces in the
field
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
during
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in
the
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
barrel
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
and
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during
that
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period,
but
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in
his
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably
closer
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
the
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit
over
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
7000
Post by Red Jacket
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
Brooks
I agree. After the Tet offensive, VC forces were almost
wiped
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
out
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
and
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
NVA took over all combat duties. If the number of VCs
eliminated
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
in
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
1968 was less than 100,000, the number of VCs in 1968
would
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
be a
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
bit
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
over 100,000 so the figures of 600,000 in the article is
way
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
too
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
much. The "assault youths" were unarmed labors who
worked in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
VCs may be about 1/1. Because their death numbers were
counted in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
VC
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Could you describe an AK-50?
We looked at this as a folding stock.My guess is the folder came
out
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
1950
?
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
[...]
According to several web sites (kalashnikov vodka) it hasn't made it to
the US yet. Brits are making them change the name, too violent.
Red Jacket
2006-01-21 00:43:14 UTC
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
nor
armed. Because of their family background VCs did not trust
them
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
enough
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
the army, except youths of ethnic Chinese and children of
ARVN
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
officers
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
who were forced to join yout assault corps in the battle
fields
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Cambodia. The body count reported by U.S. forces in the
field
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
during
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
After on good fight I looked at brand new AK's grease in
the
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
barrel
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
and
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
none of the young had ammo.
What a waste. April 1970
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the war. Now, we killed a lot of them during
that
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period,
but
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
600K? I
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
don't think so. Sounds like your source is a bit off in
his
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
estimates,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
and
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
that the official military estimates were probably
closer
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
the
mark.
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Your
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
source also has the US KIA figure during Tet all out of
whack--during
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit
over
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
7000
Post by Red Jacket
KIA,
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
not
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
Brooks
I agree. After the Tet offensive, VC forces were almost
wiped
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
out
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
and
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
NVA took over all combat duties. If the number of VCs
eliminated
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
in
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
1968 was less than 100,000, the number of VCs in 1968
would
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
be a
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
bit
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
over 100,000 so the figures of 600,000 in the article is
way
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
too
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
much. The "assault youths" were unarmed labors who
worked in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
the
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
VCs may be about 1/1. Because their death numbers were
counted in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
VC
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
Could you describe an AK-50?
We looked at this as a folding stock.My guess is the folder came
out
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
in
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Kevin Brooks
1950
?
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Red Jacket
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Kevin Brooks
[...]
heh. Thanks for all that info.
Blessings
Jack Linthicum
2006-01-19 22:23:52 UTC
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack
From 10,000 in 1965, the number of VCs increased to over 100,000 in
[...]
I don't know where you get your numbers, the ones I cited were worked
out by CIA analyst Sam Adams and are the subject of an official CIA
study. (See below) I sort of suspect that you are working from the
"political" numbers that required no more than 300,000 enemy of all
sorts which Gen. Danny Graham had forced through and consistently used
as his top level of opposition. Another political decison made and paid
for.

http://www.cia.gov/csi/books/vietnam/epis3.html

"For instance, when CIA analysts focused on the mostly civilian and
irregular components of the O/B as a legitimate object of their
analysis, they found many problems. As veteran military analyst George
Allen later wrote, MACV's order-of-battle holdings had long been
"misleadingly low. . . . They had done almost no real research on the
guerrilla-militia forces; their estimate remained at the 'guesstimate'
my [DIA] team had come up with in Saigon early in l962."(10)Allen's
boss at CIA, Special Assistant George Carver, told a White House
military aide in September 1966 that MACV's estimate of 100,000 to
120,000 Viet Cong irregulars "may be extremely low."(11) In January
1967, O/NE observed that documentary evidence suggested that the
enemy's irregular strength in South Vietnam had reached 250,000 to
300,000 by the end of 1965, whereas MACV was still sticking to its
100,000 to 120,000 estimate.(12) In May 1967, shortly after McNamara's
tasking of CIA and at a time when MACV was carrying a total enemy O/B
in South Vietnam of 292,000, CIA responded to an inquiry by Under
Secretary of State Nicholas Katzenbach that the enemy's paramilitary
and political organization in South Vietnam "is still probably far
larger than official US order of battle statistics indicate," and thus
that the total enemy O/B there "is probably in the 500,000 range and
may even be higher."(13)"

and

"But it was Carver's later briefing of the "Wise Men" on 25 March and
of the President himself on 27 March that has been cited as CIA's most
direct and telling contribution to President Johnson's decision to seek
negotiations with Hanoi and retire from office, which he announced on
31 March.(163) On the 25th, Carver, Philip Habib from State, and Gen.
William E. DePuy briefed the "Wise Men." When DePuy, leading off,
asserted that the enemy had suffered a crushing military defeat, he ran
into a buzzsaw. Pointing out the numerical contradiction between MACV's
understated enemy order of battle on the one hand, and its claims of
enemy killed and wounded on the other, in order to demonstrate that
there could be few if any NVA/VC troops left, senior US jurist and
diplomat Arthur Goldberg asked DePuy, "Who, then, are we
fighting?"(164)"

then

"Perhaps the clearest expression of the CIA view came from George
Carver, who remarked that 'intelligence is not written for history;
it's written for an audience'--meaning that it's useless if the
audience for whom it's written refuses to read it. If the White House
absolutely insists on an enemy OB under 300,000, that is what it is
going to get."(173) One of the sharpest such criticisms is voiced by a
former NSC staff officer: "Within a few weeks after Carver became head
of SAVA he had changed from an independent analyst into a courtier . .
. I felt that as long as Carver held the SAVA job, we'd never get the
right picture of the war."(174)

On 21 February a CIA Intelligence Memorandum stated that there was now
sufficient evidence to support a judgment that in his offensive the
enemy had committed numerous irregular forces, of various types.(179)
Two days later, in response to a query from the White House, DCI Helms
reported that available evidence did not support the US military's
claim of an enemy decimated by Tet.(180) On 1 March OCI and OER sharply
questioned MACV's continuing claims that the enemy had suffered a very
high percentage of losses: "the dilemma with respect to the casualties
arises when the reported enemy KIA (38,600) is considered against the
total offensive force estimated [by MACV] to have been involved
(77,000). Taken at face value, this means that approximately one half
of the attacking force was killed in the offensive and its
aftermath."(181) This OCI-OER study concluded that these figures were
exceedingly difficult to accept, given the continuing current high
level of enemy activity throughout the country.(182) An OER officer
shortly thereafter ridiculed MACV's claims, pointing out that if the
1.5 to 1 ratio of wounded to killed in action were applied, the
resultant casualty total exceeded the forces committed.(183)

Helms added that, of those totals, CIA accepted some 90,000 to 140,000
enemy irregulars, whereas MACV and CINCPAC still maintained that such
forces could not and should not be quantified.(185) And there the
matter rested.
Lang Bang
2006-01-20 02:28:44 UTC
The estimated number of over 100,000 VCs that I cited was the number of
only local VCs from South Vietnam. With about another 200,000 NVA
regulars infltratedfrom the North who also served under NLF flag, the
total communist combat forces should be over 300,000 in 1968. If you
include approx. 100,000 youth assaults the number of communist forces
should be over 400,000. The number of 600,000 communist forces in 1967
was a bit high, but the number 300,000 was low.
During the Tet offensive of 1968, about 100,000 VCs were eliminated
(KIA, WIA, captured) and thus VCs forces were near extinction. The
remaining NVA regulars continued to operate in the South as VCs. With
more reinforcement from the North they launched the Easter attack
campaign in 1972 without participation of VCs. After 1968, NVAs took
over all combat duties from VCs because VC could not recover from their
losses. In 1975, it was NVA forces that made the final attacks in South
Vietnam.
Kevin Brooks
2006-01-20 04:31:21 UTC
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Lang Bang
Post by Kevin Brooks
Post by Jack Linthicum
Post by Jack
From 10,000 in 1965, the number of VCs increased to over 100,000
[...]
Unlike you, he is working from what actually HAPPENED, not what some analyst
puke said SHOULD have happened. We broke the VC as a major combat force
during Tet, yet we did not kill, capture, or incapacitate anywhere near 600K
of them--what gives? And your US casualty figures are still way out of
whack--did not want to address that screw up from the same source?

Brooks

<snip more junk that avoids the actual historical facts>
i2p6
2006-01-20 10:23:15 UTC
Post by Kevin Brooks
Yet oddly enough, Tet '68 also signalled the end of the VC as a source of
major fighting forces (thereafter the NVA took over the brunt of the battle)
during the war.
Yep. And the high U.S. KIA after Tet shows that the DRV was not defeated, as
falsely claimed by Crybaby Vets.
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over 7000 KIA, not
ten thousand.
8456.
(Source: "The Wall" database.)
Post by Kevin Brooks
www.richmond.edu/~ebolt/ history398/US_Casulaties_1968.html
...the website of another Crybaby Vet...desperately trying to "prove" the U.S.
military really won.
Brooks
Kevin Brooks
2006-01-20 15:29:52 UTC
Post by i2p6
Post by Kevin Brooks
Yet oddly enough, Tet '68 also signalled the end of the VC as a source of
major fighting forces (thereafter the NVA took over the brunt of the
battle) during the war.
Yep. And the high U.S. KIA after Tet shows that the DRV was not defeated, as
falsely claimed by Crybaby Vets.
What utter poppycock. Nobody was claiming the DRV was defeated in 1968; some
were claiming the insurgency down south was beginning to turn in our favor.
Given that Giap's vaunted "general offensive" failed to acheive its tactical
and operational objectives, the accompanying "general uprising" failed to
come to light, and the VC was virtually destoyed as a major fighting force,
those claims were obviously not without merit. The problem was that we won
the tactical and operational levels of the fight, and lost the PR campaign.
Post by i2p6
Post by Kevin Brooks
during the period 27 jan 68 thru 1 Jun 68 we lost a total of a bit over
7000 KIA, not ten thousand.
8456.
(Source: "The Wall" database.)
The figures I found indicate a bit lower numbers--and BTW, "The Wall"
includes deaths other than KIA, which is what I was addressing. Heck, the
10K number was really even more grossly out of whack than that--most
accounts I have seen peg the end of the Tet Offensive as being the time that
Hue was recaptured, which would put the US KIA level during that late JAN to
early MAR period more in the range of around 4500 or 5000.
Post by i2p6
Post by Kevin Brooks
www.richmond.edu/~ebolt/ history398/US_Casulaties_1968.html
...the website of another Crybaby Vet...desperately trying to "prove" the U.S.
military really won.
Actually, you are again wrong (do you ever get anything actually correct?).
As you can see by perusing the professor's record, he was completing his
pos-grad education during the Vietnam years and already established as a
professor (or assistant professor) at UR by 1966.

You got room in that yapping (nah...that's too kind--more like whining) maw
of yours for that other foot to fit in there as well?

Brooks
Post by i2p6
Brooks
i2p6
2006-01-20 19:14:48 UTC
Post by Kevin Brooks
The problem was that we won
the tactical and operational levels of the fight, and lost the PR campaign.
Son, you didn't "win" anything. Nothing. You stayed in place. Or escalated as
the U.S. continued to bring in more troops (to a high of 542,000 in Jan '69).
Yep, you Crybaby Vets lost the PR campaign (to truth), and the KIA campaign, and
every other campaign that counts.

But you never ever "won" a damn thing.
Post by Kevin Brooks
BTW, "The Wall" includes deaths other than KIA,
"The Wall" KIA numbers are excellent for showing the U.S. did not win
after the Tet offensive. U.S. KIA numbers stayed high through 1969 (that's
'69 son, not '68...proving the "win" claims are false).
Post by Kevin Brooks
You got room in that yapping (nah...that's too kind--more like whining) maw
of yours for that other foot to fit in there as well?
..well...you're...a fuckin moron

Ha!
Post by Kevin Brooks
Brooks
(son, you might want to check the book "After Tet"(Spector,1993), that'll
straighten out your sorry ignorant ass)
Kevin Brooks
2006-01-22 02:37:41 UTC
Post by i2p6
The problem was that we won the tactical and operational levels of the
fight, and lost the PR campaign.
Son, you didn't "win" anything.
First, let's get something straight from the get-go: you are not my father,
I am not your "son". You are obviously not qualified to clean the cow manure
from my father's boots. OK?
Post by i2p6
Nothing. You stayed in place.
No, we won the tactical and operational fight in Tet 68--about any
historical work will verify that. We lost the PR fight that accompanied and
came after the campaign.

Or escalated as
Post by i2p6
the U.S. continued to bring in more troops (to a high of 542,000 in Jan '69).
Yep, you Crybaby Vets lost the PR campaign (to truth), and the KIA campaign, and
every other campaign that counts.
You talk a lot, but you don't really have much to say, do you?
Post by i2p6
But you never ever "won" a damn thing.
Wrong.
Post by i2p6
BTW, "The Wall" includes deaths other than KIA,
"The Wall" KIA numbers are excellent for showing the U.S. did not win
after the Tet offensive.
I'll stand by the numbers I gave earlier--they reflect actual KIA during the
period of Tet, and immediatly thereafter.

Post by i2p6
'69 son, not '68...proving the "win" claims are false).
You got room in that yapping (nah...that's too kind--more like whining)
maw of yours for that other foot to fit in there as well?
..well...you're...a fuckin moron
So, you snipped away the part where you claimed the individual who prepared
the cited data was supposedly some sort of biased vet, when it was shown
that, as usual, you were blowing smoke (or something even more noxious),
from your nether regions, and fall back upon cursing, when you have offered
nothing but the usual whining. Figures.

Welcome to my killfile; you should find lots in common there with the other
ignorant whiners who have graduated to that status.

Brooks

<plonk>
i2p6 west
2006-01-22 09:30:49 UTC
Post by i2p6
U.S. KIA numbers stayed high through 1969 (that's
'69 son, not '68...proving the "win" claims are false).
There it is.

Ha!
l***@nospam.net
2006-01-22 14:01:36 UTC
Post by i2p6 west
Post by i2p6
U.S. KIA numbers stayed high through 1969 (that's
'69 son, not '68...proving the "win" claims are false).
There it is.
At one point in 1969 there were so many casualties the morgues in Vietnam
could not handle all of them -- the dead were flown out, and stacked three
high on tarmacs waiting for their turn with the undertaker...
Ha!
i2p6 west

Bob Matthews
2006-01-22 19:56:38 UTC
Post by i2p6
Nothing. You stayed in place.
No, we won the tactical and operational fight in Tet 68--about any
historical work will verify that. We lost the PR fight that accompanied and
came after the campaign.
Normally, winning a war results in demobilization. After Tet,
Westmoreland demanded another 210,000 troops. Tet was to the USA what
Midway was to the Japanese in WWII. A huge defeat.

==bob
Ian MacLure
2006-01-23 04:55:10 UTC
Bob Matthews <***@yahoo.com> wrote in news:WrRAf.725094$***@attbi_s71:

[snip]
Post by Bob Matthews
Normally, winning a war results in demobilization. After Tet,
Westmoreland demanded another 210,000 troops. Tet was to the USA what
Midway was to the Japanese in WWII. A huge defeat.
Oddly enough this is not what General Vo Nguyen Giap thought.

IBM

Bob Matthews
2006-01-17 03:51:02 UTC
Post by Raptor
Behind The Botched Drone Attack To Kill Al-Zawahiri...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/01/15/behind-the-botched-drone-_n_13873.html
"One Pakistani official, speaking anonymously, told The Observer that
hours before the strike some unidentified guests had arrived at one home
and that some bodies had been removed quickly after the attack. This was
denied by villagers."
Despite the obvious typo, this sounds pretty damn important.
Well, Dr. Grammar, that's "damned" important, methinks.

==bob
verify the kill.
unknown
2006-01-17 05:02:42 UTC
Post by Bob Matthews
Post by Raptor
Behind The Botched Drone Attack To Kill Al-Zawahiri...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/01/15/behind-the-botched-drone-_n_13873.html
"One Pakistani official, speaking anonymously, told The Observer that
hours before the strike some unidentified guests had arrived at one home
and that some bodies had been removed quickly after the attack. This was
denied by villagers."
Despite the obvious typo, this sounds pretty damn important.
Well, Dr. Grammar, that's "damned" important, methinks.
==bob
Wow, they didn't just leave all the corpses laying around for extended periods
of time???

Ya, sounds fishy to me!

Brian Allardice
2006-01-17 10:11:48 UTC
Behind The Botched Drone Attack To Kill Al-Zawahiri...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/01/15/behind-the-botched-drone-_n_13873.html
http://nomorewarforisrael.blogspot.com
Ok, third time lucky (trouble with the server)

I despair for you poor bloody Yanks. Miss the target, kill women and
children, get thousands more pissed off than they were. Not the usual
criteria for success.

I really should collect the posts here and send them off to AQ or
Al-Jazeera, so that Muslims or Pakistanis can clearly understand the
views of "True American Patriots"

Carry on, chaps...
dba
Brian Allardice
2006-01-17 09:04:24 UTC
Behind The Botched Drone Attack To Kill Al-Zawahiri...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/01/15/behind-the-botched-drone-_n_13873.html
http://nomorewarforisrael.blogspot.com
Reading this thread I despair for the poor bloody Yanks, or at least I
would if I took this gang as representative. Missing your target,
blasting women & children, and getting thousands more pissed off than
they were would not, to my view at least, constitute success Your
call....

I really should start to collect some of these posts and send them off
to AQ or Al-Jazeera. Any good your diplomats try to do would be
exposed for nonsense once everyone knows what "true American patriots"
really think.

Fools,
dba
Lang Bang
2006-01-19 14:04:30 UTC
Today, Pakistan intelligence confirmed that the attack killed four top
AlQeada leaders. So the attack may be justified. Pakistan
villagers should stay away from AlQeada.
Steven P. McNicoll
2006-01-19 15:17:05 UTC
Post by Lang Bang
Today, Pakistan intelligence confirmed that the attack killed four top
AlQeada leaders. So the attack may be justified. Pakistan
villagers should stay away from AlQeada.
If it's been confirmed that the attack killed four top Al Qeada leaders the
attack was definitely justified.
William Black
2006-01-19 15:50:08 UTC
Post by Lang Bang
Today, Pakistan intelligence confirmed that the attack killed four top
AlQeada leaders. So the attack may be justified. Pakistan
villagers should stay away from AlQeada.
Pakistan intelligence probably hired them in the first place.

I do hope the US is going to do some of their own checks, Pakistani
intelligence has proved a touch unreliable in the past, you've only got to
look at their hiring policy:

'This Osama bin Ladin chap looks OK to me..."

"Muller Omar is a splendid recruit for our purposes..."
--
William Black

Time for tea.